A Fugitive Green podcast series
For Hal and Minnie, “The Appointments Matter” to both of their futures in chapters 4-6. Hal sets out hopeful for a meeting with an influential Major he would like to recruit into his fledgling regiment. Unfortunately, the meeting goes awry with Reginald Twelvetrees in attendance, and the odor of the English Cockspur flower stirring memories leading Hal to overwhelm and passing out. It is not what he had hoped for. The ever-faithful wingman Harry Quarry is by Hal’s side with encouragement and support.
Minnie on the other hand is making social connections and getting new work as she becomes known in London. She has two appointment books, one the “chuppointment” book for her everyday activities and calendar, the rougher artistic sketchbook for the meetings that require subtlety and no mention out loud. The listing of her activities for one week could make even the busiest of person’s head spin. She is buying and selling books, as well as, information. I adore how Diana Gabaldon finds real and applicable books and people to weave into the story.
The two largest developments in these chapters are Harry Quarry hiring Minnie to find proof of the affair between Nathaniel Twelvetrees and Esme Grey, and Mrs. Simpson turning out to be her Aunt Miriam instead of her mother.
Links to the interesting facts within the pages and podcast:
- Cockspur Hawthorn Tree –http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/st210, http://www.2020site.org/trees/hawthorn.html
- Philologus Hebraeus https://www.abebooks.com/Philologus-Hebraeus-EXCEEDINGLY-IMPORTANT-comprehensive-study/611308017/bd
- Histoire de la Guerre des juifs Contre les Romains https://books.google.com/books/about/Histoire_de_la_guerre_des_Juifs_contre_l.html?id=FBTMXDbSJJkC
- De Sacrificus Libri Duo quorum altero Explicantur Omnia Judaeorum https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/William_Owtram
- Mahomet the Imposter https://books.google.com/books?id=DLhaAAAAcAAJ&source=gbs_similarbooks
- Vauxhall gardens https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vauxhall_Gardens
- Promenade Hyde Park http://www.victorianlondon.org/entertainment/hydepark.htm
- Duke of Beaufort https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Duke_of_Beaufort
- St. George’s Hanover Square http://www.stgeorgeshanoversquare.org/
- St. Clements http://www.visitlondon.com/things-to-do/place/39885-st-clement-danes-church#FrJQIwKssdclyVG7.97
What’s Coming up? The Fugitive Green chapters 7-9, from Seven Stones to Stand or Fall collection.
How can you participate? To have your questions, comments for the regular read along, email or call in to the listener line 3 days prior to airing for inclusion. Join the weekly Twitter chat Wednesday nights at 6pm PT/9pm ET to discuss the previous latest podcast chapters using the hashtag #ADoO. Comments or messages may be included in the podcast or a written post.
All images are Wiki Commons. Click link for attribution. Featured image.
Enjoy A Dram of Outlander?
Thank you for sharing posts, joining the discussions, and following this website or pages listed below!
To financially support the podcast, go to my Patreon page.
Call 719-425-9444 listener/reader line to leave your comments.