Keep reading for my Top Ten Moments from “Useful Occupations and Deceptions”, S2 E3 of the Outlander series. This episode, we meet up with Jamie up to his blue eyes in political intrigue and booze by night, and by day, successfully running his cousin’s wine business. Claire is definitely not the definition of a “Lady”. She’s bored and feeling all too conventional with her leisurely life. On some sage advisement, she gets a volunteer position at L’Hopital des Anges, the hospital for the poor and needy. She’s filled with happiness.
There’s definitely so much more than that… Some sweet. Some funny. Some weird. Some sexy.
10. Jamie and Monsieur Duverney are playing chess, as Jamie is trying to get into his favor. So charming is the Minister of Finance. The most delightful aspect of the exchange is learning the sad and much water tortured wig is alive and well. It’s been resurrected from the ’80 metal band death grip. So long road life.
9. The joining of the Mother Hildegarde to the spy business when she handily discovers what the key to the musical cipher is. She was a child prodigy after all. She also happens to think that Herr Bach’s music will have no lasting power historically, as it lacks heart.
8. Murtagh’s reaction to finding out Black Jack Randall is alive. Gut wrenched, dumbstruck, and obviously horrified, he agrees with Claire to keep it a secret, for fear Jamie will rush in blind anger back to Scotland to try and kill Randall once and for all. He’s the best wing man EVER. His protectiveness of Claire and Jamie is pure love and loyalty.
7. Master Raymond and Claire bonding in his apothecary shop. He gets her. He sees her for who she is. A friendship in bloom. He tells her she has to help people. Indeed, it’s at her core and not simply an occupation. He is the wise one who advises her to volunteer at the hospital run by Mother Hildegarde. There’s no stopping Claire now.
6. Monsieur Duverney gleefully and overtly appreciating the ample bosom of one of the women at Madame Elise’s establishment. He is having the off the record financial meeting with Prince Charles and Jamie. His face is pure rapt pleasure, but of course, no touching, because he fears his wife.
5. Mary Hawkins asking Claire and Lousie de Rohan if they know about Frenchmen. Louise nor Claire have any idea what she means, until she goes into her explanation. He puts his thing in between a woman’s her legs and up inside her. Louise screams “No!” and Mary not getting her sarcasm, screams “YES!” and keeps talking. Louise is roaring with laughter while Claire simply says, “We need to have a talk.” The sweet naivete of Mary Hawkins thinking men where she’s from in Sussex would never do such a thing. Priceless and endearing. Oh, dear Mary, aye they do and if done right you will like it too.
4. Claire and Jamie figuring out who “S” is at the same time, after Jamie translates the musical code into a letter. Sandringham that is. He’s a double-dealing snake that one. This is truly the first team work they have had onscreen this season. It feels good to see them in sync, if even for a minute.
3. Enter wee Claudel aka Fergus. he’s the cherubic and mature beyond his years pickpocket from Madame Elise’s. Jamie spies him stealing from patrons. He follows the boy in to a chase, overcoming him in the alley way only to discover he has Sawney, the wooden keepsake snake from his sporran. Jamie hires him on the spot to become part of the plot to stop the rebellion. Smart move! The boy has fingers with a feather light touch.
2. Claire, under the watchful eye of Mother Hildegarde, comes upon a patient on her first day at the hospital. Curious as to Claire’s skill set, she watches as Claire looks the patient over, asks her questions, sniffs then without hesitation, tastes her urine from a cup. Mother Hildegarde is impressed and asked for a diagnosis and prognosis. Claire’s answer is the same as the physician. She is now in business treating all sorts of injured patients.
1. Claire angry because her maid failed to darn an item, flies into Suzette’s room, pulls back the bed curtain, only to discover her naked panting maid atop Murtagh, happily sampling his wares. Hey now, Murtagh deserves to get some loving. The man does for everyone else. It’s about time he has his done well. Curiously, Murtagh had a spring in his step the rest of the day. Go figure.
What are your top moments from this episode? Let me know!
Listen to my full review podcast here.
Screen caps property of Starz.
Visit Outlander Starz on social media, like or follow: Twitter,Instagram,Facebook, and the official website.
Want to see more A Dram of Outlander?
Please share posts, join the discussions, and follow this website or pages listed below!
Facebook – A Dram of Outlander
Instagram – dramofoutlander,
Twitter – @dramofoutlander
Tumblr – A Dram of Outlander
Call 719-425-9444 to leave comments on the show, posts, or anything Outlander.