Maril Davis, Outlander TV Series Producer, did a spontaneous Twitter Q and A on December 9th. Fans asked an abundance of great questions, some general, and others about the show. She gives some valuable information as the season 3 production is moving into block 4.
She gives some eye opening production insights, as well as, the fact there absolutely will be a Mr. Willoughby for us to meet, and that South Africa will be a shooting site because the ships and sets are already in place and easy to use.
Here’s a basic transcript of the show related inquiries. MD denotes Maril Davis.
- are you going to South Africa as well? MD yes
- why South Africa? MD they had a built in infrastructure and ships. And the look was right
- how far along is S3? Lots of time on a ship? MD we’re almost halfway through
- How many episodes is S3? MD 13 episodes
- have you cried on set yet? Printshop reunion is gonna be soooooo good MD I haven’t cried on set but I did tear up watching a rough cut of episode one.
- has there been any prep for S4? MD we’re definitely starting to talk about it. We have to. No break this year. Just roll into the next season
- Casting has been brilliant – but who of the new cast for season 3 has really exceeded your expectations? MD they’ve all been amazing but not all of them have been shooting regularly. So we’ll have to wait and see!
- When should we expect some promo to start?! MD no idea although we just did our first publicity shoot!
- Is @SamHeughan still the biggest slacker on set? MD lol. No, he’s an incredibly hard worker (Sam-you can pay me later)
- what are you especially excited about for Season 3? MD hmmm. Print shop and stuff on the ships. And the start of the season is fab
- What is your typical day like? MD no typical day for me. If in Scotland I go back and forth between shooting crew and prepping crew
- favorite Outlander book? MD Favorites are the Original and then A Breath of Snow and Ashes
- Yes please How fun and amazing are the 1950s and 60s scenes? MD I love the ’50’s and ’60’s stuff.
- how long does post take on an episode? MD a LONG time. Two months-ish?
- What will be your focus during this trip to Scotland? MD the last two weeks of shooting (before the holidays)
- How long does it typically take to film one ep, incl rehearsals, table reading, etc? MD every episode takes 12 days to shoot on average
- Will you be filming any parts of S4 when in South Africa? MD no
- has there been a decision about where S4 will be filmed? MD no decision yet
- Are you looking forward to going to new location for the Caribbean shoots?? MD I am. It must be warmer there, right!???
- well you should sleep but will we see Williughby? MD yes
- What are you shooting in Block 4 ? MD lol. Can’t tell you.
- Does the cast ever do viewing parties, other than premiere events? MD not usually no
- Were the same writers taking care of both time frames, or were they divided up ? MD we have different writers for every episode so everyone will get different stuff. We divide by script not by time periods
- Heck yes! Given the scope of S3, was it harder than previous seasons to find locations? MD every season seems to get more challenging!
- Will we be treated to more singing from Richard Rankin this season? MD Jeez, I hope not! Just kidding!
- What is your favorite wintertime activity? MD lately it’s sleeping!!
- How is working with this talented angel @caitrionambalfe MD it’s really tough. Like the hardest thing ever….. just kidding. I adore her obviously
- how much longer until we might hear word of a premiere date.. any new casting you can share? MD I don’t know. Starz usually decides on timings of announcements.
- Will you be going to South Africa when they film there? When r they scheduled to move filming there! MD yes, I will. Just not sure when yet. And we will not go until next year
- have all the new characters started filming? MD no. We will continue to add new cast as we go
- yay!!! How many rehearsals are needed before filming a scene? MD depends on what kind of scene it is. Some take extra rehearsals while others don’t take too many
- How has your life changed since #Outlander? ? MD I’m ten thousand times busier and I travel ten times as much! and I’ve obviously met a lot of great people!
And she closes with…MD Sadly I have to sign off. Phone battery is at 10% . Thanks for the questions!! Until next time! Maybe a holiday Q&A
It’s always wonderful when cast or production members pop up for a spontaneous chat with fans. It’s a fantastic way to keep fans connected during the long droughtlander period.
All images are Wiki sourced.
Enjoy A Dram of Outlander?
Thank you for sharing posts, joining the discussions, and following this website or pages listed below!
Call 719-425-9444 listener/reader line to leave your comments.